Research shows a clear link between academic success and good health. That is why Healthy Howard is committed to improving the health and well-being of Howard County students and their families through our Healthy Schools program.
Our Healthy Schools programs serves K-12 public and private schools in Howard County, reaching over 44,000 students and their families each year. The program works with school wellness teams to create and implement a broad range of nutritional and physical activities that schools can use to create healthy environments and engage students with varying learning styles, physical abilities and personalities.
Each school is awarded Bronze, Silver, Gold or Platinum medal status based on their programming to promote health and wellness, with a specific focus on nutrition and physical activity.
Health Howard is please to have offered this important program for eight years and to have impacted the lives of over 50,000 students across the county. The program goals for wellness were adopted by the Howard County Public School System in 2014 and so Healthy Howard celebrates the success of the program and efforts to teach health and wellness are being directed in new areas of the county.
For more information on this program, please contact the Healthy Schools coordinator, Kelley Bickersteth, at [email protected] or 410-313-6264.
Support Health in Your School
View these resources to promote health in your local school:
- Healthy Howard and MD Action for Healthy Kids Webinar – This webinar is designed for Howard County High Schools applying to become Healthy Schools.
- ChooseMyPlate materials
- USDA Team Nutrition Resources for K-12 Schools
- Ten Tips Nutrition Education Series – Easy to follow tips and suggestions for a healthier diet.
- HealthierUS School Challenge Criteria
- Nutrition Resources for Schools
- Physical Activity Resources
- Resources for Kids